26 August 2005

Day XLVI -- 22

Tonight kicks off a weekend of fast-paced fix-ups... bathroom still needs to be painted, stairs to basement, basement door, kitchen touch-ups, fix two electrical sockets, repair a hole in the wall on the landing... ahhhhh... Thank goodness Ga and Grandma are coming up.

Oh, and we'll be playing "Capture the Cat" so we can sadly put him to sleep. I borrowed my bosses live-trap which I couldn't figure out and had to bring back to work so several co-workers could show me how to set it up. I will be interested to see if the kitty even gets near the contraption.

Jack is liking school more and more it seems. He has so much fun, he's declining on the nap. That makes him a little crabby when he gets home. Last night he took a nap from the time I picked him up at 5:15 p.m. until about 7:30 p.m. That was great. When he woke up he was hungry, wet and confused. Tried to feed him, no go. Tried to change him, that was laughable.

Then a neighbor's door slammed and he got excited. He thought Daddy was home. And when he realized it wasn't Husband, he became a mess and was thrashing around. I decided to stand by the door with him so we could wait and watch. One car pulled in, he began to pant. His lower lip plopped out when he realized it wasn't Dad. Another car in. Not our man.

Just when I thought he couldn't handle it anymore, I saw Husband's black car come around the bend. Jack saw it too.

His face slowly spread into a smile.
He immediately started messing with the screen door trying to get it open, panting in delight.
"Who is it? Who is there, Jackie?"
Squealing from him.
"Is it Daddy?"
"Da-da,'' Jack whispered, eyes glued to the carport. "Da-da."
Husband seemed to be taking his sweet time to come in. He had no clue the trauma his family had been through waiting for him to arrive. We saw his head bob along the top of the carport.
"Da-da,'' Jack said a little louder, smiling.
Husband came around the carport and started heading to our porch.
"DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAA!!" He screamed out the screen.
"Hi, Buddy!" Husband called back.
Jack pressed his face up to the screen and watched his dad walk up the porch. When Husband opened the door, he shrieked in delight.
"Hi!!" Husband said reaching for his only son. "Can I have a hug?"
Jack leaned in to let Husband hold him. Just as Husband was putting his hands out, Jack quickly whipped around and squeezed my neck, burying his head in my neck. Peeking at me once and smiling.
Stinker.

No comments: