18 August 2005

Day XLII -- 29 days

So we put a bid on the house. We of course low-balled which makes me nervous. They called last night to say they needed a night to sleep on it. I hope they get back to us soon so I don't have to think about it all day.

Friends from LA made an appearance in the H last night. We went to the Blue Gill Grill which is never a disappointment. I was walking around the lake when they arrived so I never got to go home and change before going to dinner. Fairly disgusting, I know.

Jack did well on the walk -- mostly because he was entertained by the passing cars and the water. It was only 4.5 miles so he didn't get too frustrated. He just laid back and munched on cheese and crackers as we huffed and puffed.

Lately he hasn't been doing as well in restaurants. Once you put him in the high chair he feels he immediately needs to clear the table tossing the menus and utensils down onto the floor. He may then bang his hands down for a while and howl -- just for the hell of it. Last night was no exception. I found myself juggling him until the waitress could get a fresh glass of milk to refill his bottle. I felt like an ass as I tried to rationalize with a 1-year-old about why it wasn't necessary to scream at a piercing pitch and then laugh when I sushed him.

So I am desperate to entertain him in these situations.
I have discovered that he's really trying to curl his tongue. (And thankfully he can't practice and scream at the same time.) He really studies me when I do it. You can see his brain trying to send the directions to his mouth. His face gets serious. He furrows his brow and his little baby tongue works at it. So far, it's not happening. He ends up just wiggling it around and then laughing.

Another new and a exciting game we play around here is reverse "peek-a-boo". These days he likes to cover his eyes with the back of his hands until one of us notices. (Last night in our chatter, those little hands were hanging for a while.)
Then we make a big deal with, "Where's Jackie? Whhhhhere's Jackie?"
His arms shoot down. "There he is!"
Laughter around.
Now repeat. And repeat. And repeat.

No comments: