29 June 2005

Day XVII -- 30

Today begins the official countdown to the Fiesta de Jackson.

At 6:08 a.m. Jackson Thomas turned 11 months old!

This is my last posting until a week from today. The family is taking its first official road trip. We are heading south to Nashville to visit with grandparents, two aunts, an uncle and a cousin slightly older than the Boo. Sister-in-law and family lives on a farmet down there and since Jack LOVES animals, I know he is going to have a ball with the dog, cats and horses.

Based on our short trip home from Southfield, I am not necessarily looking forward to the trek – especially considering my job is to sit in the back and entertain. And after receiving sternly voiced concerns over my dependency on fried 'tators to entertain, I realize I have to be more prepared.

First, we divided the trip up so Mr. Monkey will only have to be strapped in for about 4.5 hours each day. Friday night we will spend the evening walking around Indy. Next Tuesday we’ll be in Cinci.

We have also slowly collected supplies we feel are going to make all the difference.

Portable DVD playerJack can thank technological advances and affordable prices for this purchase. I will not have to play the role of antennae girl as my mom did for years. He will never know the hardship of having to hope a channel comes in with a program you’d want to watch… Indiana is a tough state to pick up anything, I’m sure.
We will be bringing his collection of DVD movies… we’ll “Put down the duckie” all the way to Nashville.

Books – Some people, including Husband, get sick reading in the care. Since a) Jack can’t read and b) he’s never really been on a long road trip, this seems like a viable option.

Noisemakers – though annoying for parents, he really likes anything that makes noise, includes buttons and possibly lights up. Check on all three.

Snacks – Fishies, pretzels, dried apples, banana chips, bottled water. If all else fails, I have these vitamin-fortified animal crackers he enjoys… (Let’s be cautious with the new upholstery, k?)

A variety of CDS – Hopefully something will move him (see Day XV).

Car seat – Duh, of course we are having a car seat. We are just loosely considering turning him around. Currently, he is facing backward. But Jack exceeds the recommended weight and the muscle control a baby must have to face the seat forward. We discussed this idea with our pediatrician and she said she would never tell us yea or neh (way to cover her own bum) but that Jack is advanced in his neck control – and always has been. The makers of the seat suggest not turning it forward until the child is one and weighs at least 20 pounds. Is a month really going to make a difference? The boy lifted his head and looked at me seconds out of the womb! We’re debating this issue. Maybe I will ask Ford Engineer Cousin what she thinks.

If all else fails, I will have no trouble yelling "SWITCH!" and letting the spouce try.

I may need a vacation from my vacation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What kinda car didya get? Lemme know...mhudson@edmunds.com