28 June 2005

Day XVI

Why do french fries have to be so good but so, so bad?

After a long night at the dealership in Southfield picking up our new car (whoo-hoo!) Jack was not excited to ride back to Lansing. He wanted to hang out with Grandma and Grandpa. He wanted to climb around the dealership floor. He wanted to toss his animal crackers on the floor just so he could say, “Uh-uh-oh!” (Even when his mouth is full he hums the words, pretty cute.)

Husband and I split the drive so I could be the person to pull out with the brand new nautical blue SUV.

“AHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!”

Jack whined from Southfield to Novi.
I suggested fishies. He packed his mouth and then spit them at his father.

Novi to Wixom.

“AHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!”

I suggested a bottle. He drank about two ounces and literally tossed it away.

“AHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I suggested pick-a-boo. He played a long for a short period of time.

“AHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!”

Brighton couldn’t come soon enough. We pulled off to make the switch and grab some grub. I got the meal deal – figuring I’d share with hubbie.

But Jack had other plans. He could smell the pretty potatoes.

At first he just calmly watched Husband and I munch on our crappy food. But that didn’t last long. Soon little fingers were stretching to grab a piece of curly potato heaven.

I didn’t think he would like it. They were a little spicy – and a little hot. I tore a big fry in half, blew on it and handed it to him. He played with it a little, flipped it around in his fingers. He looked at me. I told him to go ahead.

(I know I am a bad parent as I am doing this but at this point we were just glad he had stopped screaming…)

He took his first chomp. A huge grin spread across face. I could almost see him thinking, “Oh, yeah. Where have you been?”

Quickly his hand held out for more. I gave him another.

Chomp. Chomp.

More smiles.

Before he was born, we thought, "Our baby won’t have anything but low-fat, lean protein and green vegetables until at least he hits kindergarten. We won't let him have anything that doesn’t hold nutritional value."

And yes, he did have sips of the vanilla milkshake.

No comments: