09 June 2005

Day IV

Maybe it was the heat. Maybe it was the rash or maybe it was just because he didn't want to do it.

Jack had the worst night of sleep since he first arrived. He cried when we tried to get him to lie down. He tossed and turned in our bed. He cried in his bed. And all the while I was haunted by dreams involving my deceased maternal grandmother and lions.

Don't ask.

At least when I left home this morning -- a half an hour late -- he was sleeping (in our bed) with Daddy. He seemed peaceful. Let's just hope for Husband's sake he stays there for a couple of hours.

Today the office closes early for a funeral of a co-worker.

I didn't know the woman who passed. She struggled with cancer for more than a year. She was 33. Every story told about her is filled with laughter and I'm sorry we never met. Of course the impending funeral brings up so many emotional memories for everyone -- even me. It reminds me of my grandparents who passed, a high school classmate who also died of cancer when we were juniors in college and mortality in general. Co-worker had a small child and a husband. What happens to them now?

What if it were Jack and Husband left behind?

I know what you are thinking, I'm just being pessimistic. Obviously, it happens.

I think everyone in the office knew she was going to die, but her family was still working on her first-floor bedroom. It never got finished. How is that family going to feel today when they get home and see it incomplete?

Ahhh. Rough day.

1 comment:

Beans said...

sorry about the rough day. The things that always get me through mine is the prospect of a new day tomorrow and that maybe something new, great, and exciting will happen.