14 June 2005

Day VII

Jack has decided a few things. He's pretty set on those decisions. He won't be swayed.

First of all, he isn't interested in eating anything except fruit, veggies and goldfishies. He wants everyone to know. He might humor you and eat baby food meat but anything else he will take his index finger and hook it out of his mouth while gagging.

Maybe he will be a (gasp) vegetarian. I can only imagine Husband and Grandpa when they hear that theory. The pair has been dreaming about serving the kid steak since about day 2.

Vegetarian isn't really correct. He's just getting picky and it really bites. (Get the word play?)

And his bed? Not so much likey. He goes through these phases (about a week at a time) where he doesn't mind sleeping in his room. That hasn't happened in a while. And not only does he want to sleep in our bed but he tosses and turns so much that Husband and I can't sleep.

Jack isn't comfortable unless he lies horizontally while creating a little family "H". He also likes to stroke my hair in his sleep, creating a body "N". Truthfully, the stroking is more like pulling. If I scoot away from him he follows me in his sleep, his baby arm extended and searching for my hair.

Last night was so bad that Husband scooped him up, mumbled something about not caring if he cried all night and put our baby in his own bed. But Jackson was blessed with my voice -- a voice I carried down from my maternal grandfather -- and it's not gentle nor is it something you can sleep through.

Two minutes passed.

Without a word, Husband gets up. He stomps down the hall. I hear him over the baby monitor trying to make a deal with our nearly 11 month old.

"Mama has to work early. Daddy has to work late. Please Jackie. I will let you back in the bed but you have to be a good boy and leave Mama alone. Don't pull her hair anymore and try not to move around so much.''

I hear Husband back in the room. Then I feel the little fingers.

JACKIE!

When it's 2 in the morning and I have to be to work early -- and try to be crisp -- I do find myself whimpering to Husband for him to hold him. But Jack will have none of it. He doesn't want Daddy, he wants Mama.

Admittedly, sometimes it's hard to be angry when he's grabbing for me. His baby eyes are closed and he's just searching for my arms to wrap around him and when I do, he sighs with contentment. I know I need to cherish these moments.

Someday he's going to make me drop him off a block away from where he's going. He's going to be embarrassed that I go to football games to watch him play and he certainly won't acknowledge me in public. If he's anything like his Uncle, I have some brutal mom years a head.
When my alarm went off this morning, Husband jumped up and turned it off, look of panic shot my way. I know if Jack had woken up, Hubbie wouldn't have been too happy with me. I tip-toed out of the room looking at the boys before I left. Jack was spread eagle across the bed. Husband, all 6 feet + of him, was teetering on the edge of the bed breathing in a whisper, just happy to be sleeping.

Master Jack rules.

No comments: