08 June 2005

Day III

The rash led to me leaving work early. I wasn't about to send Jack out in the world with the rash. Dr. said it would be fine for him to go to school. But my Mama instincts wouldn't allow it. Husband stayed home in the morning, then we tag-teamed at 2 so he could go to work.

Truthfully, despite the welts across his face and the polka-dots all over his body the kid was in fine spirits. He's eating like a champ again and actually took a long nap -- unheard of around our family.

Naps. Why won't you take a nappy-nap Jack?

My cousins are nap Nazi's with their kids. I have no idea how they do it. I think the kiddies spend half their day napping. My kid? You try to put him down and he gives you this look like, "How dare you?"

GP Cousin says to just let him cry it out. That's what she did and her kids are fine. They recovered from the utter disappoint of realizing their parents weren't going to come back to get them just because they were alone, scared and screaming their heads off.

Jack will have none of that... He's a stubborn cuss. The longer you wait to get him the louder, louDER, LOUDER he gets. He may take long pauses (that you stupidly think his him falling asleep) but he always comes back louder and with more force. And then when you succumb (because we always do) he grabs ahold of you tight, squeezing again and again as if to say, "Don't leave me ever again!" It's truly crushing.

Then he smiles -- victory.

No comments: