25 July 2005

Day XXX -- crunch time -- 5

So the portrait went OK.

Once Jack realized we were taking pictures he became a ham and started giving us goofy smiles with squinty eyes. We salvaged about three shots. Husband thought I was being too critical but when you've got the looks, the film should show it. Basically the whole experience was another example of how much easier it was when he couldn't move around and we just propped him into positions.

The other night when we were at our favorite Mexican restaurant celebrating my new raise I spent the majority of the night watching a set of new parents juggle a newborn -- probably about three months old. The dad balantly had no idea what he was doing and the mom stood for her entire dinner doing the infant sway and trying to stuff her tacos in the side of her mouth. They both looked beat but they were with other childless couples and I could tell they were trying to pretend they were still cool. Husband and I looked at each other laughing. Gosh, that was such an easy time.

On Friday, when I picked up Jack from school, a new dad came in to pick up his three-week-old. Jack and I stood and watched him as he fumbled around trying to lock the baby into the car seat while still keeping the pacifier in his mouth.

I found myself saying, "Take advantage of this. This is the easy time. Wait until he becomes mobile." The dad (who was actually kind of old to be just starting out) was not thrilled by my tidbit of information.

I walked out to the car flabbergasted I had actually said that to him (no doubt he will avoid me from now on) because when I was a teenager my dad used to go up to strangers and say the exact same thing.

But, I'm just not wrong.

I probably said to Husband 10 times this weekend that life was much easier when Jack loved the exer-saucer. You could just put him in there, put in a Baby Einstein video and then empty the dishwasher or pick up the toys or go potty. These days nothing is ever picked up that he doesn't throw back down seconds later. Emptying the dishwasher takes forever as he is constantly grabbing at the pans or silverware and going to the bathroom has to wait until another adult is around. You can't leave him alone for a second.

Why can't they invent a saucer for one-year-olds?

His teachers told me that he loves to teach the other babies who are still in the contraption how to use the toys. He patiently goes around and around teaching his little buddies about the features and benefits of each of the attached toys. But just try to put him in one and WATCH OUT!

My parents got him this little Jeep thing that we were all sure he would adore. At the store, he laughed and was excited. At home, he hated it. Cried when you put him in it.

Doesn't want to be confined. He won't even try to push it around. (It's built similar to the Flintstones car.) When brother and I were little we had one that we LOVED. I think ours may have had pedals. But I know for sure that Sister had one that she loved to scoot around in. But Stubborn Jack will not even try it.

This weekend was supposed to be a tag-team of cleaning and weed picking and summer projects we have been putting off for ages. I'd say we got 25 percent of what we needed to get done, done.

The biggest accomplishment? Jack is now kissing back -- well, sort of. I have been trying to teach him how to blow kisses but he' not into the arm part. He'l just pop his lips and sort of toss them your way with a nod of his head. Apparently a swing of the arm takes too much time away from emptying his toy box for the 83rd time.

No comments: