15 July 2005

Day XXV -- 14

Jackie is spending the weekend with the g-'rents. They, of course, are thrilled at the prospect. I am mixed.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't trust my parents to watch him for the weekend. On the contrary, they know way more than we do about baby rearing. I just know it will be strange without him.

Maybe it will be good.
Maybe if I am separated from him for a few days I will go back to thinking all the little things he does are cute and brilliant...

Like when he pulls apart the remote controls to try to figure out how they work. We don't have one remote that isn't missing something: the battery cover, the red plastic piece that covers the wand ...

Or when he clears the coffee table of everything (including breakables) with one huge swoop of his arm...

Or when he acts like he wants you to hold him and he CHOMPS on your shoulder...

How about when I have straightened his books, toys and videos and he immediately tosses them away...

Like when he tries to pick my nose and misses hitting me in the eye...

When he pulls my little baby hairs on the back of my neck and twists, twists, twists them up into his teeny fingers...

When he flips the TV on and off, on and off when you are watching a program he doesn't feel like viewing...

Or when he decides he's done with dinner and then he one-by-one drops any leftover food from his tray onto the floor...

I miss him already.

I say that with a touch of sarcasm. But I know after I have been separated from him for more than a few hours I will start to feel empty and naked. As I mingle at my fundraising party and see old friends from college I know I will not be talking about the latest movie or the bar, I will be telling everyone about all the smart and funny things my kid can do and remind everyone he's not even a year old!

I'll say,
"Jack's so mechanical! He's somehow figured out how the remote works!

He's very meticulous! He wants everything to be clean and clear of garbage.

He's so helpful! He always tries to help me clean up his toys!

He's so scientific! He's always trying to figure out human biology!

He's very loving! He always wants to hug, lay his head on my shoulder and stroke my hair.

He's so smart! He let's you know what he wants to watch on TV!!"

I can't wait until Sunday night.

No comments: