14 July 2005

Day XXIV -- 15

Will I be a cool mom?

That’s a question that ran through my mind this morning at 10 to eight. I was jamming to Nirvana (high school highlights weaving through my thoughts) when I found myself wondering…

When I tell Jack I went to two Radiohead shows – both revolving around road trips with friends -- will he admire me?

When he discovers my numerous stubs from U2 concerts, Dave Matthew Band shows, Santana, Rusted Root, the first and third Lalapalooza, Lenny Kravitz, Lilith Fair, Ziggy Marley, Phish, the festival with Blues Traveler I went to for like four summers in a row that I am now to old to remember its name -- will he be stunned?

And what about all the great interviews? I mean college was filled with some pretty hot experiences for me.

Will he be surprised that the surely navy and khaki clad PTO mom standing before him was once possibly even a little hip? Or will he take it in stride thinking, “I mean you’re in now, why wouldn’t you have been on the pulse then?!”

I wonder what can I do to keep my statis high in the eyes of my firstborn. It’s a tricky task. I wouldn’t want to talk about my experiences all the time. I don’t want to show my cards too early. I don’t want to go overboard with “the good old days.”

I picture his blond head with blues eyes rolling and his saying something like:
“I know, I know, Mom… you crossed the mid-west to see Dave Matthews…You ALREADY told me how you touched Bono’s shoulder at a concert in Detroit… Big whip that you played video games with Ziggy Marley and other Bob decendents…’’

Will he hear my music and gag? And what about me? Will I make him turn his music off and say, “How can you listen to this? I don’t even understand what they are saying!” When will I stop liking new tunes?

Once I hit mid-30s will I only listen to AM? The horror!

I need to devise a plan to still remain cool in his eyes without seeming lame and old. Is that even possible?

(Oh, and start that college fund…)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blues Traveler fest = H.O.A.R.D.E.
I went to the one with Natalie Merchant and Rusted Root and Lenny. Yea! We're both cool, Katie!

Bless you boys said...

Right, right. I wonder why I couldn't remember...