13 July 2005

Day XXIII -- 16

Watch out hairy spiders.
Fly away little gnats.
Don't come a buzzin' yellow bees.
We have a predator in the house.

MY KID ATE A BUG!!

Jack loves to sit and watch the birds. He stands with his face pressed against the doorwall at our house and just claps and laughs at them as they swoop between two pine trees and our neighbor's birdhouse.

I was on the phone. Now, before you judge, please note I was helping to plan a fundraising party for the cancer walk. He was "uh-ohing" out the windows at his little bird friends. He was pounding on the class in delight. Toy Story was on in the background. I continued to chat away glancing at my offspring every other minute at least.

Something I have learned quickly (and the hard way) is that if the kid is quiet it's not a good thing.

"Jackie, what are you doing?" (enter the mom sing-song voice here)
He just turned and smiled at me. He looked back at out the window. Something told me to keep asking him.

"Jackson Thomas. What are you doing?" (sterner mom voice)

He turned and looked at me again with a smirk on his face. He was hiding something in his mouth. I could tell. (Mind you, he often has fishies appear out of nowhere -- old Fish crackers now soft with age.)

"Jack, open your mouth."

He was now openly crunching.

I pinched his cheeks together. His trap slowly opened and ...
There lay a Ladybug only recognizable by the remains of her shell.

I just about lost my mind.

"AHHHHH!!! JACK JUST ATE A LADYBUG!!" I scream into the phone.
I heard laughter on the other end and a, "Sorry, it's not funny... but it kinda is."

I quickly scooped out everything I can find in his mouth. He was not happy to have my fingers in there (but apparently it's fine for a bug) and fought me off. I picked him up and dragged him into the kitchen to get a fresh milk bottle to rinse down the bug guts.

"Jack! Yuck! Yuckie! Yuck," I said, making spitting noises. "You don't eat bugs!!"

I handed him the bottle of fresh, cool, whole milk. He scooted to get down.

Crawling away, he took a quick sip of the milk and then tossed it over his shoulder.

Apparently nothing beats a good Lady.

No comments: