04 November 2006

51

I have become a via mom.
I learn what is going on in my family and home life via phone and via email.
My kid gets on the phone tells me about his cars, Lion King and that he has to go because he's watching "Over the Hill." And then the phone gets handed to whichever adult is taking care of him and they give me a play-by-play.

Yup, he ate something... grilled cheese, meatballs, cookies and donuts
Yup, he was a good boy at school -- though he still thinks he's a lion.
Ahhh, no he didn't take a nap.

Sometimes the adult says: "Jack, do you want to talk to Mama?" and I hear him say "no."

That's nice. It's not even that he is embarrassed of me yet. He's just indifferent.

I am in day 3 of my west coast trip. I fly back Monday. Last week I was in DC for 5 days.

I was home for Halloween which was a fantastically wondrous experience that I will forever file in my heart. Seeing Jack stand on our porch with his lion costume on waiting for his Daddy to go trick-or-treating was one of those mom moments you dream about when you are pregnant. It was a moment that will certainly flash in my head at his graduation, wedding and at the birth of his first child.

"Hi Daddy! Roarrr I'm Jack the Lion King! Let's go trick-treating!!"

Watching them walk down the street holding hands was an instant of pure, unaltered happiness. It was such a precious moment I nearly tipped.

And the next morning by 7 I was off to Cali.

Last night I caught up with old friends from college and brought a work friend into the weird cult of The State News. Another person exposed to something that is really hard to explain. It was great to see the bunch -- everyone looked healthy and happy which maybe comes easier since it's been sunny and around 70 everyday we've been here -- it's snowing at home. I was happy to see their lives firsthand.

We went to a local place, had amazing (and inexpensive) food and I got a chance to catch up with a set of parents who actually live in MI. Kinda funny we had to both be in LA to see each other but such is life.

Then we hit their favorite waterhole that I had read so much about on their blog. Pictures were taken with promises of preapproval before publishing. It was nice to catch up and talk about all the exciting news in everyone's lives and all be happy for each other.

Today I am back to the Expo. 10-5. It's fun but draining. Tonight is a work night. You gotta have them when you are on the road this much.

It's a weird day when I yearn for the Mitten.

No comments: