11 April 2006

Sixteen

Yesterday I finally bought Jack a pair of saddle shoes. I love saddle shoes -- have always loved them. I even had them as a kid. But I referred to them as "Bert shoes" because Bert from Sesame Street had a pair.

I wasn't sure that Husband would be thrilled with them. They are classic and preppie and everything I like, but I was worried they may be too much.

Jack is also very quick to let me know when he doesn't like what he's wearing -- this includes a pair of teal socks that was included in a multi-color pack I got him. He hates them. He squeals and tugs and tries to rip them off. The only way he'll wear them is if he's sporting his little red Converse hightops because then you can't see them. Now, I can understand a boy doesn't want to wear teal socks but if its Saturday and they are clean, who cares? He does.

Anyways, the saddle shoes. I was at the mall on my lunch break pulling together his Easter outfit when I saw the shoes and just about died for them. So cute. They are white and navy. I really didn't even care what he wore after finding those. (Completely untrue: I went to three stores and even had the salesgirl put something on hold at another mall so I could get exactly what I wanted. Jack, Hub and I picked it up last night after dinner.)

Jack loves shoes but he's very particular -- as mentioned above. I told him I got him new shoes. He was excited... He ripped into the bag. He pulled them out. Slowly smiled. Then said, "New blue shoes! New blue shoes! On! On!" and immediately began to tear off his Converse.

I have never heard him say blue and actually be right. It was an amazing moment. So we quickly put them on. He danced around the room (literally) and smiled.

"New blue shoes!"

No comments: