13 April 2006

Seventeen

Jack has been bumped up to the next "grade" at his little school. His teachers are amazed daily by what the kid has to say. According to the director, he is well beyond his age when it comes to speech, following directions, attention span and remembering things.

He will be in a classroom with 2 and 3 year olds. He surpassed two kids in his current class that are already 2 and I know he's better than most in the next class he's joining. I wondered if he was bored in his classroom because every time I go in there he seems so annoyed by the criers.

It's funny how much his personality mimics mine, really. I catch him staring at people all the time. I have seen the look before, it's a family trait. My Nana had it, my aunt does it, my mom, my sister and I know I have a problem with it too. It's not a particularly friendly expression really. In fact, Husband was scared of all the women on my Mom's side for the first six months of our relationship because of "THE STARE."

Ah... if only Nana had been around with Husband. He thinks my Mom and Aunt are scary. Nana was the godfather of "THE STARE." Her stare would make you melt -- not that I ever experienced it firsthand. I was, of course, her favorite. Just ask my siblings and cousins!! ;D

The thing is, I know Jack doesn't even realize he's doing it. I don't realize I'm doing it. I can't you how many times friends have pinched me to get off it. It's not really a glare -- but it's more of a glare then a glance. We don't smile, but we're not really frowning either. Some of us use the squint technique -- not so much me, but sister does -- and so does the kid.

Husband told me when he drops Jack off in the mornings, he rarely speaks to anyone. He just walks into his classroom, takes off his coat and gets to business. Now, some people may think that's rude but I know he doesn't. He's just focused on what he needs to do. Unlike his father who likes to be friendly and "Mr. Fun Guy.'' Jack has been (blessed? or cursed?) with coolness. I do wish he was somewhere in the middle. Nice, but reserved, you know? My whole life people have thought I was bitchy even when I thought I was being perfectly nice.

One thing's for sure, I can't wait to find out if he's sarcastic. There's nothing better than sarcasm... and I not being sarcastic about that.

No comments: