05 December 2007

60

Apparently, my kidneys are plain old dehydrated. At least, that's what my urologist says. So after months of pain, two surgeries, millions of tests, it's ... dehydration and low calcium. I wonder if they even know what they are talking about...

Yesterday Husband was in Peoria, Ill. for work so I dropped Jackie-Boy off at school and took Baby B with me to my appointment. He is a very good, easy going baby. But he doesn't like to be wrapped up to protect him from the cold. So as soon as we got into the waiting room, he let me know he wanted out.

Once peeled out of his layers, the boy had a great time staring at everyone. I was the youngest adult in the room by 50 years -- and all the surrogate grandparents were quick to stare at my gorgeous boy. And he just ate it up. He cooed and laughed and looked around soaking it all up.

Those of you who know me and my maternal-side of the family, may be familiar with a certain stare. Brennan is concrete proof that this penetrating, perhaps unfriendly looking stare is purely genetic. There was one particular woman who was interested in my baby. He didn't seem thrilled by her. He gave her that Brennan (literally, that's the side of the family it comes from...) stare. It's the same stare my Nana had, my aunt has, my mom, my cousins, my sister, my Jack and me. If you haven't seen it, it's not always taken well. I don't think its meant to be mean, at least not for me, it's just not a rainbow and roses kind of look. Basically, he wasn't impressed. He was annoyed even. (I wish I had a camera to capture the look. Classic.)

When we got back to see the doctor, I discovered I needed an X-ray (and yes, I still have a stone). Obviously, I couldn't take Brennan in with me so the technician offered to get a nurse to watch him. I told him he'd be fine in his seat if she didn't mind just watching him. When I came out of the X-Ray room, about seven nurses were circled around him just cooing and loving on him. And he was eating it up. He was in his prime.

Next, we went into the examination room to wait for the doctor. That's where he decided to have a horribly stinky diaper. The room was small and the stench was strong. I changed him but didn't want to leave the bomb in the trash for some poor nurse. So I grabbed a rubber glove off the counter and stuffed in deep enough to tie off the top. I thought for sure the doctor would come in. I got lucky.

By the time we went to check out, Brennan was having the time of his life. Standing in line, the X-Ray tech found me and wanted to hold him. She said she hadn't gotten her turn yet. Then we went back in the waiting room where I fed him a quick bottle. When the nurses heard I was still there, they came for one last coo and sniff. (They literally smelled his head.) Again, the other patients (a new batch) ate up everything. And when he let out the biggest burp he has ever gotten out, more than person exclaimed, "Good boy! That was a good one."

No comments: