20 August 2007

40

I am feeling a little better about the new baby's arrival. Things are finally starting to fall into place. We've hired a painter to paint the room (there's just no way we have time to do it), the bathroom, our summer project, is nearing completion and Jack has picked his brother's name.

It's not surprising really. We just should have asked him months ago. He knows what he likes and he sticks to it. He picked Stina's wedding dress and Ma's mother of the bride dress. He just knows, and he let's you know.

We drilled him on it, mixing up the order of the list and every time he picked the same name. So, it's settled. And someday if Baby Rex doesn't like it (and no, it's not Rex) he can go after his brother. (We have also finalized a girl name just in case.)

And no, I am not going to say what we settled on. You can ask me any way you like and I won't spill it. I know, I know. It's annoying. But you know what else is annoying? Everyone's opinion. I don't need to hear it. I didn't name your kid and chances are I don't like the name you chose. So there. Fiesty, I know, but this has been a long struggle.

When we had Jack, we named him and that was it. There was no debate. Jack was my name from like 8th grade. There was no arguing. Even though some people still gave us their opinions -- both good and bad -- it was a done deal. But with R2 everyone wanted to put in their two cents because we couldn't agree. And I realized no two people like the same names. We'd throw out a name and people would give us detailed stories about why that was the most terrible name ever. Thanks for the info. Kinda rude, not going to lie. I am not sure why people feel like they can say they don't like a name. It's not like someone would say, "Hey man, what's up with that shirt?" Why is it OK to challenge the name of offspring? It really doesn't make sense.

I have a whole new respect for people who don't find out the sex or tell the name of their baby. Don't get me wrong, I am baby-name obsessed and I always want to know the sex. And I am 100 percent sure that I will still ask people. But I think I am going to be kinder about it. I certainly will never let people know I hate the name they picked. (And chances are, I will.)

Those who don't give in are actually brillant. There's no input, no feedback. Just you, your spouse and the baby sharing a wonderful secret that will only be revealed at birth.

For Baby #3, that's how we'll roll.

One small addition:
Yesterday was Ma's birthday. Jack's concerns? Did she eat cake without him?! Oh, and he wanted open her gifts for her. Happy Birthday Ma!

No comments: