05 February 2008

68

Somewhere between the age of 26 and 30 I lost my desire to try new things. I don't really know how or when it exactly happened but looking back, I got kind of stuck.

In my 20s I didn't hesitate to jump in -- literally. I guess it started even earlier. When I left for college, I knew I wanted to meet to new people. Hell, I went skydiving. I let myself have fun. A lot of fun. Tons. Laugh out lout 'til it hurts fun. And I didn't feel bad about it. I knew I deserved it as much as the next person, somewhat of a feat acutally after my brooding years.

I spent a summer at college. I spent the next overseas. I went canyoning in Switzerland, bike riding through Munich, boating in Amsterdam, took a trainride through the French Alps. I visited my family's land in Ireland. I drove through the night to NYC to see Radiohead at Radio City Music Hall and then turned around and drove back. (Actually, I rode. No car for me in college.)

When I graduated, I got out. Once I decided ... I literally got a job, bought a car and moved to South Carolina in a matter of weeks. There I did things I never thought I would. I went fishing in a true swamp. I learned to differiente gator croaks and bullfrog croaks. I learned to masterfully shuck oysters. I ate roadkill (accidently). Professionally, I interviewed the top national GOP members. I covered some crazy-arse stories, including the Klu Klux Klan, teen prostitutes, cold cases solved.

Hubby and I drove from LA to Vegas. We visited Philly, NYC, and used to laugh a lot. Sometimes at each other, mostly at other people.

I was fun. I looked for fun. I relished in fun. Fun was my middle name.

And then somehow, we became boring. Hubby and I went from having a social life to falling asleep on the couch. And it's not just about going out. It's certainly not about drinking. It's about us falling into a boring routine and not being able to escape it. And not even wanting to ...

We'd get asked to do things and our gut reaction was ... let's not. We'd rather just pajama-day it and well, call it a day. We both decided we had enough with making new friends and socializing outside of our house.

But I am sick of it. I just don't think it's healthy anymore. And I just never would have predicted it when we got married. I want my boys to know just how fun we were and still can be.

So far this year, I have already noticed myself trying a little harder to break this vicious cycle. It started at Christmas. My sister got a Wii. I like to call it video crack. By the time our holiday was over, everyone in our family was hooked from Jack to my Grandpa. Honestly, at first, I didn't want to participate. I suck at sports. Just ask my siblings. They like to laugh about it and have for years. I think my last effort at team sports ended with me chucking a softball at my coach ... and then stomping off the field. I was in 8th grade.

My sister giggled when she asked me to play tennis. I knew what she was thinking... "This will be a fast ass-whipping." Strangely, surprisingly, I beat her. And with that win, I was a little more interested in playing. I even beat my brother; a satisfying feat. It felt good to have some fun and reap the benefits.

Then, for New Year's, we had a couple over. I mean, it was nice. We played a game or two. We ate junk food and Jack was overly excited to FINALLY see someone other then our family. I mean the kid was bouncing off the walls.

I can only hope the boys don't allow themselves to fall into this kind of rut. Life is hard. We are so busy. He's on the road all the time. The baby is not sleeping through the night. We're frickin' tired.

No doubt pre-babies it was a lot easier to branch out. But I know if we don't make the effort these days we're going to be even more alone in 10 years. And it's no example to set and let's face it, we'll likely get sick of each other. I am just not that interesting.

Life is hard. Everyday I feel like I learn another tough lesson. My gray hair is coming in thicker. Whether it's corporate restructuring or a friend's 7-year-old nephew fighting brain cancer, it's pretty dumb to shrivel up and waste time.

Jack and Brennan: Everybody needs a little fun. Fight the dull-drums and allow yourself to experience it.

(And when you're having too much fun, and I let you know, don't even think about throwing this in my face. It's all about B-A-L-A-N-C-E.)

Jack-ism:
Just seconds ago Jack poked his buns in the air and yelled, "Hey Mama! Hey Mama! Check out my cutie-a-tootie buns!"

No comments: