26 November 2007

58


Here are the boys crowded around the mini-DVD player so their Daddies can watch sports. Wrong, isn't it?

I don't know if you know my husband. But usually when people are off from work, they want to walk away from anything relating to their line of work. Everyone needs a break. Not so with Daddy-O.
For him, heaven is sports 24-hours a day. You'd think the fact that he's a sports writer would take some of the magic away from the wide world of it. Sadly, this is not the case.

In fact, No. 1 often has to yell his Daddy's given name instead of his title in order to get his attention. With remote in hand, there seems to be nothing more pleasurable than flipping through ESPN X, Y and Z, ABC, FOX and the BTN.

But when you combine his disease with my brother's it is simply out of control. The uncle is just as obsessed. Truthfully, they should have married each other.

Thanksgiving weekend was literally filled with 20 + hours of sports -- probably more. And not just teams we should give a damn about... I understand the Spartans, the Lions... but Boise State? Miami of Ohio basketball? At least being a sportswriter, there is a smidge of an excuse... staying on the pulse and all that. But with my brother it just doesn't make sense. They would rather watch any kind of sports than do anything else -- except maybe eat. (Keep in mind, I don't hate sports. I don't. Trust me, I had to watch EVERY SINGLE Tigers game this summer. It was supposed to be a magical summer. Apparently, no one told them.)

Maybe you are wondering how it's possible two people out of a party of 12 would dictate the TV for an entire weekend. The truth is, I am not really sure. I think they just expect it and none of us challenge it.

But, guess what? Christmas is over for you two. Husband has lost all remote privileges in any house that he doesn't pay the cable bill. And my sister and I are sick of the brother always controlling the set. PSssst... it's OVER!

Note to you, husband and brother:
I would rather watch the same Baby Einstein with my boys and nephew 3 times in a row than another mindless sports event that has no legitmate reason for being on TV. You got 20 plus hours Thanksgiving. Sister and I (and your children) each get 20 plus programming hours. We're talking 100 hours of sports-free television. I can't wait!
If you are already scoffing and planning to ignore us, don't worry, I have one weapon: Jack. I can easily whisper in his ears and get him to want to watch something terrible, unbearable. And not just on the teeny DVD player that you used this past weekend.

So, let's play nice. Let's remember we're family and everyone should be somewhat satisfied with the entertainment over the holidays ...

Otherwise be prepared for Yo Gabba Gabba! (This has music, ridiculous dancing and colorful puppets. You'll hate it.)



Freddie, 8 months, Brennan 11 weeks, Jack, 3

No comments: