16 November 2007

57

Oh, how times have changed over these last 10 weeks.

Jack has never been vicious to his brother. From the moment Brennan arrived he's either been indifferent or interested and never, ever mean or angry. That's not to say he was thrilled about his arrival either.

These days he's turned into turbo big bro and is very protective of Brennan Fredrick -- as he often calls him. He's quick to run for a diaper yelling, "My brother needs a change!" or tell me he needs a bottle, "My brother is hungry! He told me he wants a bottle!"

Yesterday, I had both boys on my bed. Jack was watching Dora, Brennan was wedged in between two pillows covered with his favorite blanket. Both boys were safe, I assure you. I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth. When I turned back to check on the boys, Jack was holding Brennan's forearm.

"Holding the baby's hand?" I asked him.
"I don't want my baby to fall, Mama," he said, never taking his eyeballs off the show.

This afternoon, I dropped Jack off for school. Daddy had put Brennan in his carseat and he wasn't happy about it. As we pulled down the driveway, Jack turned to his brother and started talking to him, trying to get him to calm down.

"It's OK baby. Jack is here. I have to go to school. I know you are sad, but I will be back. And someday when you are big like me, you'll go to school with me. And we can be best friends. It will be great!"

And B stopped crying and just listened and smiled.

"He smiled Mama! He likes me! This is great!"

No comments: