30 April 2007

23



This is the image I am going to view for the rest of my life. And footballs, and basketballs, and hockey pucks and maybe even soccer balls. I will spend my days on the sideline screaming at refs, wearing huge pins on my coat with pictures of my sons.

That's right, I said sons.

Today we went for our 20 week and ultrasound and saw our boy. Long arms, long legs, my lips and a nice round head. Yup, and a close up to ensure he is indeed a boy.

We are lucky. Everything on the checklist was good. Everything that is supposed to be there was there and everything that wasn't, wasn't. We have a nice, healthy, very active little boy. A friend for Jack and another son who won't call me.

That's just it. He won't. And his older brother has already told me he's not planning on it. And that just ... stinks. My sister and I call my parents every day to touch base. We don't always talk long but we make contact.

My brother calls maybe 2 times a month. Maybe. Now that they have a baby, that may have upgraded to 3 times a month. But he calls so infrequently it's like a holiday for the 'rents when he makes an effort.

My husband never calls his mother. Today he couldn't remember if it had been 2 weeks or longer. My OB said her husband calls his mom 4 times a year if she's lucky. She has 3 sons and said she hears from them when she calls them.

I doubt this baby is going to want to talk to me about the latest Hollywood news, some new drama on TV or a sale at Crate and Barrel. He probably won't talk to me about a new girl he has a crush on or what he should wear on a date. These are not conversations in my future. And I guess I just have to get over that.

My future conversations will be about sports, a really cool bug and dirt. That's what little boys are made of, right?

My whole life I thought I would be a mother of boys. Being a girl is overrated and I didn't want to be a part of the "ugly stage," mean girls and dances that she wasn't asked to ... but now that I have invested all this time and sweat, I want some return. I want to know my hard work now will ensure a friendship in the future. I guess I can hope their future wives are cool. I hope they marry their best friends instead of the ditz that will no doubt chase them. Maybe when they go away to college I will print this out and remind them, their Mama wants to see what's going on... a quick text, a voicemail, an email ... a crumb.

That's not much to ask for, right?

Now the name debate begins. We have ideas but can't agree on anything. Suggestions welcome. We have 20 weeks to name our baby. In 20 weeks I will begin my adventures with my sons. Surreal.

No comments: