02 March 2006

Twelve

I'm not embarrassed to admit I like American Idol. Maybe I should be -- but I honestly enjoy it.

I like seeing what crazy outfits the girls come up with (never flattering by the way) and what songs they choose and the reeming from Simon. I like to try to figure out if Paula is on drugs (because we think she is) and get annoyed by Randy and his "dawgs."

In a time where TV offers little for entertainment, it's nice to have something new to watch.

But the real reason I like watching AI is to see my son bop along. Jack could be, should be and maybe one day will be involved with entertainment. As you all know, he loves to dance but these days he's all about singing too. He has a little routine going that's priceless.

When a preformer is on who he likes, he immediately jumps up to dance. He grabs his play drumstick for a microphone, stands to the left of the TV set and sings along. He dances with passion, punching the air at the climax, dancing in the musical interludes and then claps when it's over. Now, there are songs (and Idol hopefuls) he doesn't care for -- in those instances he sticks out his tongue and says, "Blech!"

On Tuesday, he added to his ritual when he flipped over our ottman and stood in the center of it to perform creating a "stage."

Husband was working in his office and missed his performance, his committment to excellence. So when he came to hang out, I told him about it. He just laughed said it was cute but I knew he'd be blown away if he actually saw it unfold. So I told Jack to perform for Daddy.
And what did he say? "No."
That was that. Husband missed out on a moment in time that I will never forget -- or so I thought.

Last night we rented Walk the Line -- the movie about Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash. It was really quite good. (Reese better win the big O.) And there is music throughout. Jack loved it. We thought for sure he'd fall asleep after he realized it wasn't an Elmo movie but he hung on for a while jamming to the Cash classics. Then all of the sudden I noticed he'd set up his stage. He was rummaging through his toybox for one of his drum sticks. He climbed into the ottoman and sang his heart out.

Pretty big accomplishment to sing with Cash at 19 months.

No comments: