17 November 2005

Day LXV -- 3 days

I mean six weeks goes by really damn fast. We leave for Hawaii on Sunday. Can you believe it? I can't! I feel like we have been planning this trip forever!

This will likely be the last post before the trip. Tonight I have to finish packing. Tomorrow we are in a parade and Ga is coming up for the night. Saturday will be spent getting myself ready -- nails, hair, etc. And Sunday morning we are off.

So I called Jackson's doctor to find out if the office has any pointers for traveling with a toddler. After being put on hold for too long, I got transferred to the office nurse. (This is the same woman who told us Jack would be fine when he had Croup only to later spend three days in the hospital.) Anywho, I explained the flying situation and asked her for any ideas she could offer.

Guess what she said to do?
Drug him. And then she laughed.

Hmmm... that sounds like sound advice, doesn't it? I am sure the doctor would be thrilled to know the brilliant word selection her nurse used. I was shocked. Sure, I'd heard from other parents that I should give him medicine to help him sleep but this? She suggested 1.5 teaspoons of Benadryl every six hours. And she told me to start about 30 minutes before take off. And she said Jack should be drinking something at take-off and landing.

Of course when I shared this information with my dad he immediately told me to find another pediatrician.

Later, I was talking to a colleague about it and what the nurse had said. She told me it's important to give babies Dimetapp or Benadryl when flying because the air pressure will hurt their ears and make them feel uncomfortable. The medicine will relieve some of the pain, and make them feel more relaxed. Apparently, that's what her doctor told her. Now that made it seem like good, sound, sensible advice. That explanation didn't cause me to feel creeped out or guilty.

Maybe it is time for a new doctor...

No comments: