14 November 2005

Day LXIV -- 6 days

Yeah, yeah. It's been more than a week since I last posted you on the happenings in Jack's life. And trust me it's not like things haven't gone on.

Purdue weekend:
I woke up at 11:30 p.m. with stomach flu and proceeded to be sick all night long. I haven't been that ill since I had yellow Garfield footy pajamas. It was awful. The 'rents were in Pa. My in-town girlfriend was out of town and Hubbie was on the road. I called former Nanny now nursing student who was delivering pizzas until 4 a.m. to come over. He was left with Jackson until 8:30 p.m. the next night.

The week:
I have no idea what happened. It's a complete blank.

Last weekend:
Hubbie headed off to Minnesota and the Kid and I went to the D. I had a journalism/PR conference where members of the panel were former State News staffers which really made me laugh that they were supposed to be "leading."

Then we shopped for the Hawaii trip. We shopped all night Saturday. We shopped all day Sunday. Jack was the best behaved kid I have ever seen -- no joke.

He didn't cry or squirm or complain at all. People actually stopped us to comment on how good he was... it was incredible. True, while shopping for the wedding gift he grabbed something off the shelves in the fine collections area but luckily it was sterling. He just liked it because it was shiny. True, he had to stop in front of every store to dance (he especially enjoyed the Abercrombie and Fitch for Kids store).

This of course brought him more compliments and admiration from strangers. He walked from the bridge between the North and South side of Somerset Mall all the way to Marshall Fields -- an anchor of the mall. If you're not familiar that is really, really far. It was a site especially since he still doesn't bend his knees.

He refused to hold my hand. He refused to hold Grandma's hand. Two ugly teenagers nearly ran him over and then laughed when he fell. I wanted to kick their trendy asses but he wasn't phased. He just picked himself up, literally brushed off his hands and kept on walking. Things did get a little out of hand in Marshall Fields so we had to scoop him up and lock him into a stroller now provided by the department store. But as long as we kept moving, he was fine just staring at people.

Hawaii prep:
Yeah, that's kinda funny. I have started Jack's luggage. Unfortunately, I realized last night our big suitcase is in storage right now. One, two, three NOT IT to go and get that! I have concocted a plan of action. Every night after work I will hit one local store to get the last minute necessities. (I have not shared this idea with the boy yet so who knows how he'll react!) Tonight: WALMART. They sell BullFrog block for babies which is supposed to be the best to fight off UV and cancer-causing rays.

I just know I will be hitting Meijer at 2 a.m. Saturday night no matter how hard I try to get our family ready.

My goal is to be completely packed by Thursday. But really, what are the chances?

No comments: