13 December 2006

57

I seriously know like 10 people who are expecting babies starting from March through the summer. And let me tell you as one of the only people in my age group with a child: the whole pregnancy-to-birth-infancy-to-toddlerhood-to-little-boy goes insanely, INSANELY fast.

Case in point? Today I received emails with pictures taken over the last two years collected on an uncle's camera phone. He was switching phones and wanted to be able to save and share the priceless shots. Be prepared to be shocked by how much Jack (and Husband) have changed. It's sad. My kid is no baby anymore.

And I'd like to say: it only gets easier. But so far, that's just not the case. The kid gets old, more mobile and more tricky everyday. Sure, now he can run and talk but guess what? It's a whole different set of problems. Like when he ran away in a store and nearly killed his grandparents. He thought it was funny, Ga not so much. OR when we used to be able to tell him Barney was "night-night" and he'd stop wanting to watch the dumbass show. Nope. Now he just looks at you like you're on drugs and hands you the DVD -- or just puts it in himself. These are special treats for all of you to look forward to -- Hi, I've become my Dad.

When we were growing up and my parents would see a young couple with children younger than we were at the time (and it really didn't matter if the other kid was months or years younger) my Dad would go up to that family and say, "This is the best time of your life... It only gets harder! Wait 'til they get older." And the three of us would groan and roll our eyes reminding our father that we weren't on drugs, we were all productive in school and overall good kids. And he'd just nod and move on.

Now I am him. I am the (basically mean) woman who goes up to people in baby carriers with infants sleeping through dinner at restauarnt and tells them how lucky they have it. And I find myself saying, "Just wait until they are mobile. Wait until they fight you on what they want to eat for dinner. Wait until they say no or have a fit in the store."

Joking aside, it's been amazing. Wonderful. We have been so blessed with a smarty little boy who personally I think is gorgeous. He is just such a clip. I have no doubt the next years will continue to be a challenge -- but in a blessing-from-God kind of way. He will never let my life get boring again. And isn't that grand? Who wants a boring kid? He's too stinking smart.

And just you wait, the first time Freddie or Baby C, Baby W, Baby K, Baby B, Baby H and all the other babies on their way say "I love you" or "Hi Mama!" or "Bless you" when you sneeze you'll wonder what the heck you ever did without them.

No comments: