08 June 2006

25

Q: How do you know you talk like a trucker?
A: When you're almost-2-year-old starts talking like a trucker.

How cute! A potty-mouthed (but not potty-trained) toddler.

Jack hears every thing that is said in front of him. He digests it, learns it and regurgitates it. Yesterday, he used a rated R word.

Remember how funny every one thought it was in Meet The Parents with the baby keeps swearing? Remember? So cute, people thought! So catchy.

Not so much. It's bad. Real bad.

Worse? He used it appropriately. Again and again. I immediately called the child expert in my pool of friends. Her response? "OMG! He's so smart! He notices every thing! I can't believe he used it correctly!"

Hmmm... not really helpful, right?

So we tried scolding him. We ignored him. We pretended he was saying different words. And maybe he is right? RIGHT?!

Husband and I have been trying to clean up our acts. But things happen. Stub a toe? @#$^@@! Break a glass? #%^&#$&!! Watch Sopranos on TV? Every other word. But now we realize we are destined to Bednobs and Broomsticks, PollyAnna and Lion King for the next 15 years or so.

No more can we watch our movies with him playing quietly in the other room or sitting on the couch cuddling. No more my little Jack.

And when he's 10 and he asks me why he can't watch a Rated R movie, I will remind him that it's just not a good idea. I will tell him we used to let him but he used these words in front of people who don't want to hear a blond haired beauty say dirty words.

And then he will hate me.

1 comment:

somebodytogobackintimewith said...

Oh hell no you did not just disrespect As I Lay Dying. I hope you don't take Faulkner's name in vain around Jack for crying out loud.