31 October 2010

167

We had some sad news this week. Joe's beloved Grandpa (O.G.) passed away. He'd be fighting cancer for quite a while and after a fall, it was just his time. Obviously, we are all sad and will miss him.

Joe called me with the news while Jack and I were at the zoo. We decided then we'd tell him together after dinner.

I wasn't really sure how he would react. O.G. is the first person in his life to pass away. Joe came to dinner with red eyes and the boys noticed immediately. When he took Brennan for a mid-dinner potty break, Jack asked me what was wrong. I told him to ask his Dad. And when Joe told him, Jack leaned back in his chair and was quiet for a minute.

Then he said ...
"Well, the good news is he isn't really dead. His soul has gone to heaven where he will live forever. We're lucky because we're the only animals that have souls. So that means we'll see him again someday when we're old and go to heaven."

He is six.

Joe took a call a few minutes later. Jack turned to me and said ...
"You know, Mom. We're actually pretty lucky because now O.G. will be looking out for us -- like a guardian angel."

I told him he should tell Daddy that.
And then he hugged Joe for a good long time.

No comments: