16 May 2008

84



We all know Jack is a painfully slow, awfully particular, eater. We have to gear up to fight him through dinner. Lately, we've even had to incorporate his favorite characters as we shove food into his skinny (no butt) body.

"Open up! Mary Jane wants to see Peter Parker!"

It's a little borderline, I agree. But when you have a rail of a kid who treats eating (unless it's cookies) like torture you'll do anything to get'ter done.

Brennan, on the other hand, runs the opposite. Like is his mother, food is his friend. He will happily munch all day and is thrilled to realize you're plopping him in the highchair.

Last night, Jack dined on french toast, bananas and applesauce. We've found that breakfast foods work particularly well with No.1 and we try to squeeze in healthy elements. (Last week he ate scrambled eggs. Woot!Woot!)

But like most nights, he took forever. He took a few bites, announced he was eating, got praise and then was distracted by a toy.

But unlike most nights, his Baby Bro was already done eating and on the loose.

My back was turned only for a second to stir a crap pasta dish for the adults. I was also on the phone with my parents. (I am an excellent multi-tasker.)

I heard a shriek.

"MAMA! Brennan is eating my food!"

Apparently, Jack had run to the bathroom to wash his hands (i.e. play in the water with foamy soap) and Brennan took that as an invitation to his food.

When I turned to look at the boys, Brennan had an entire banana hanging from his two-teethed mouth. And he was giggling. Jack was trying to swat it away.

"I guess that's what happens when you don't focus on your dinner!"

I scooped up the baby (banana still in his mouth) and put him in his highchair. He quickly chomped away the whole thing.

"Brennan! You're such a good eater!"
"I am a good eater too!"
Jack insisted.

Then, under his breath as he stumped away, he muttered, "I am so mad about this."

No comments: