08 May 2007

25

The great name debate continues. I promised myself I wasn't going to talk names with anyone and of course ... I am. I took an informal poll with my girls from work and they liked my choice. Husband took an informal poll at his work, and they lean toward his choice. Funny how that works out, eh?

I printed out the top 1,000 names according to the Social Security Administration. It lists each name individually based on spelling. So, for example, there's Fredrick, Frederick, Fred, Freddie, Fredy. These are the legal names that parents give their children. Some are ... interesting. My choice was No. 318. It's a family surname and I was surprised to see it at all. Jack is like No. 14, Jackson in the 40s. Surprisingly, Joseph was like 10.

For as long as I can remember, I have obsessed over people's names. Jack was always my No. 1. This name was always top three. Different middle names but the same first names. I can remember writing lists of names in my diary as a fourth grader. List after list, boys, girls. I think all girls go through a list stage. Favorite TV show, star, boy. It's kind of stupid really. But now I am tempted to dig out my old diary to prove to my two boys that this name has been a top choice for me for decades.

Jack is named after his paternal side. It only makes sense to have this son named after my side.

It's so hard to choose and it's equally hard not to be influenced by people's reactions and suggestions. We had it with Jack and I didn't want to get the same "input" this time around and yet I continuously set myself up for it. Family and friends ask, and then aren't shy to share their reactions. Sometimes, its a nod; sometimes its a facial expression.

Maybe from now on I am just going to say a name that includes a bunch of vowels and an apostrophe. Wouldn't that be nice? An apostrophe would match well with our Irish/Slovak/Austrian background. Paatr'ck?

No comments: