01 February 2007

8

January is finally over. It was seriously the longest month ever. Soon basketball season will be over... just a short February and then March will fly by -- hopefully. There's nothing worse than basketball season.

By now Husband has been consistenly on the road since September. When little boys grow up wanting to be sports writers, the travel aspect probably seems to be a plus. But throw in a wife and kid and traveling gets really old, really fast for everyone.

Jack's pretty used to the routine. He pats his Dad on the back on those travel days and let's him know we'll be OK while he's gone.

Unfortunately, mornings are rough without Daddy. Mama has to drop Jack off extra early. It's hard for the kid since he likes to sleep in past 9 on most mornings. When I picked him up Tuesday, he immediately said, "Daddy bye-bye on a trip. Daddy at work." And I quickly reminded him he'd be back the next day. I could see his mind working as he remembered tomorrow. He's pretty good at time now. Today, tomorrow and yesterday are fairly abstract concepts when you think about it but (likely) due to all the travel his parents do over the course of the year, he's mastered them. And together we count down to when Daddy's coming home.

And before this traveling season is complete, it's going to get worse. In March, I am gone for 7 days in the middle of tournament season. I am gone from the Big 10 tournament through the beginning of Week I of the NCAA. Luckily, my parents are going to take Jack and then Husband will go back and forth from the D but it's going to be rough.

I think Jack and I are the only two fans who hope they lose, and lose quickly. (I mean if they're not going to win it all, what's the point?!)

No comments: